Home Page Insurance Insurance Insurance Insurance Carriers

Holiday season is here, and many of us will be decorating our homes with Christmas trees, lights, and other festive decorations. While holiday decorations, candles, and beautiful crackling fireplaces add to the spirit of the season, they also increase the risk of household fires. According to Chubb Insurance Company, over 156,000 house fires occurred last winter, which resulted in 630 deaths, 2,600 injuries, and caused over $936 million in property damage.

Please take a few moments to review these holiday safety tips to make sure your holiday season is filled with only happy and peaceful moments!


Ashes should be wet down and placed in a metal container taken outside away from any decks, garages or woodpiles that could catch fire.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned before the holidays.
- Check all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are working, and replace them if necessary.


- Never leave candles unattended or within the reach of children or pets.
- Leave at least a two-foot "safety circle" around all candles to avoid anything catching fire.

Holiday Lights:

Don't overload extension cords, or use indoor cords outdoors.
- Turn off ALL holiday lights when sleeping or away from home.
- Keep extension cords out of the reach of children.
- Don't run cords under carpets - the wire may fray or be pinched by furniture and start a fire.
- Don't nail or staple through the cord or wiring.
- Plug outdoor lights into ground fault circuit interrupters (GCFI) outlets to prevent shock.
- Inspect all extension cords and holiday lights for frayed or cracked insulation, and get new ones if necessary!
- Store cords and lights in a dry attic or closet. Replace inexpensive lights every few years.

Space Heaters:

- Never use extension cords with space heaters! They should be plugged directly into the outlet.
- Don't leave space heaters unattended - turn them off and unplug them when not in use.
- Never remove the third prong grounding feature, and plug heaters into a GCFI outlet for added safety.

Please take a few moments to make sure your holiday home is safe!

Hope you have a very healthy and happy holiday season!
Posted 2:27 PM  View Comments

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
HomeAbout UsGet A QuoteContact Us  
18 W Passaic St, Rochelle Park, NJ 07662 | 201.507.5100 Powered by Insurance Websites Design